The relationship between gender stereotypes and culture
For this assignment, you will examine the relationship between gender stereotypes and culture. Do different cultures have different ideas about what jobs are appropriate for women and what are appropriate for men? Why?
Complete the following:
- Take a look at the variety of jobs listed in the Occupations and Gender document given in the resources. When you look at each job, do you think of a male or a female? Work quickly, and write down the first response that comes to mind. If it takes you more than a minute to respond to all of the jobs, you are overthinking it. (Given)
- Find someone who has a different cultural background from yours. Ask that person to do the same task, and write down the responses. (Given)
- Answer the following questions in your paper:
- Did you find any patterns in your responses? Do some of these jobs have more traditional masculine or feminine traits?
- What similarities did you find between your responses and your partner’s responses?
- What differences did you find between your responses and your partner’s responses?
- Do you think cultural backgrounds affected the perceptions that were drawn?
- What does the research say about minimizing gender stereotypes in the workplace?
This paper should be 3 pages, 12 Roman Time, double space.
**Analyzes how differences in culture can lead to different gender stereotypes from a psychological point of view.
** Evaluates more than two current psychological resources that relate to differences and similarities in gender stereotypes between cultures.
** Applies an awareness of culture, ethnicity, and diversity to a professional situation by providing recommendations to reduce gender stereotyping, and describes how these recommendations could be implemented.
** Uses well-developed written communication by writing in a manner that is generally concise, is logically organized, and utilizes correct punctuation, spelling, grammar, and mechanics.