SHORT ANSWER QUESTIONSby EssayShark Tutors
SHORT ANSWER QUESTIONS
- State four ways in which, according to Emile Durkheim, deviance is functional for society as a whole.
- Explain the difference between primary and secondary deviance.
- What is the medicalization of deviance?
- Define each of the following: white-collar crime, corporate crime, organized crime, and hate crime.
- Identify four justifications for punishment.
- State several ways in which caste and class systems differ.
- What is meritocracy?
- What is status consistency?
- Define structural social mobility. How does it differ from individual social mobility?
- What is the Kuznets curve? What is its significance?
- Define race and ethnicity. How do they differ?
- What evidence is there that race is a socially constructed concept?
- What traits define a minority?
- What is the Bogardus social distance scale? What does research using the scale tell us about changing attitudes towards racial and ethnic minorities?
- List and define four patterns of minority and majority interaction.
- What is a social institution? What is the economy?
- What four factors played a part in making the economy a social institution distinct from the family and other institutions?
- Name three technological revolutions that reorganized societal production and resulted in broad changes to many other dimensions of social life.
- What are the primary labor market and the secondary labor market?
- What is a profession? What are four characteristics of professional work?