Case Study 1: User Interfaces
Due Week 2 and worth 90 points
Early user interfaces were designed with little or no consideration for the end user. This was largely due to technical and hardware limitations. The poor interface design required a specific skill set for users and limited the mass appeal of computers. Modern interfaces are much more user friendly. Theo Mandel wrote about the five (5) golden rules of interface design. Read Mandel’s article located at http://www.theomandel.com/docs/Mandel-GoldenRules.pdf
- Describe three (3) interfaces you interact with on a daily basis.
- Analyze each interface you identified in Question one (1) and assess how it adheres to Mandel’s five (5) golden rules.
- Suggest two (2) changes for each interface to achieve a more user-friendly design and justify your suggestion.
- Provide three (3) screen shots for each interface. Note: These screen shots should be labeled and appear in the appendix of the case study. These pages are not included in the page requirement for the assignment.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
- Describe the usability properties of interactive systems.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in human-computer interaction.
- Write clearly and concisely about HCI topics using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.