UMUC IFSM 305 Information Systems in Health Care Organizations (Stage 2)
Case Study, Stage 2: EHR Technology Solution Proposal
Before you begin this assignment, be sure you have read the “UMUC Family Clinic Case Study”, your syllabus readings, and feedback on your graded Stage 1.
Purpose of this Assignment
This assignment gives you the opportunity to apply your analysis and research skills and your knowledge of technology solutions and EHR systems to improve a business process. In this assignment, you will evaluate technology solutions in the healthcare industry, i.e. Electronic Health Record (EHR) systems, to improve the quality of care. This assignment specifically addresses the following course outcomes to enable you to:
- Evaluate technology solutions in the health care industry to improve the quality of care, safety, and financial management incentives.
UMUC Family Clinic Medical Practice
In your Stage 1 Project, you analyzed a process and modelled the AS IS process. You then optimized the process/workflow and modeled the TO BE process.
For your Stage 2 Project for the Case Study, you will evaluate EHR system solutions and propose a technology solution that will improve the process you modelled in Stage 1 and improve the quality of care, safety, and financial management incentives for the UMUC Family Clinic.
Be sure to read the instructions for the remaining projects in this Case Study (Stages 3-4) to get an understanding of the future projects that build on the proposed solution and to help you in deciding upon your solution.
Technology Solution Proposal: Using the textbook and external resources, write a short single-spaced paper 1-2 pages in length, not including References page and cover sheet, responding to the bulleted items below. Remember to correctly cite and reference your sources with APA format. Use the Grading Rubric to be sure you have covered everything.
Create a document that includes the following:
- In the Stage 1 assignment you selected a process. This should be provided at the beginning of this paper to set the stage. At the beginning of your paper show:
PROCESS TO BE IMPROVED:__________________________
- Briefly explain the business process identified in Stage 1 and why/how it could benefit from an EHR system. (This should be done in 2 or 3 sentences.)
- Propose a specific certified EHR system. Note: It’s tempting to propose integrating lots of new technology but focus on a single solution that you would expect to improve the process you identified and modeled.
- To accomplish this, you will need to look up the up-to-date list of certified complete EHRs on the ONC website at the following URL and then complete the steps that follow: http://oncchpl.force.com/ehrcert/
- You will want to search using the following search criteria, each step on a separate page:
- Selected Edition Attestation: 2014
- Select “Browse All Products”
- Select Practice Type: Ambulatory
- Check box at top of chart “See Complete Products Only”
- Review some of the EHRs that are listed there, and select one that addresses the process area you identified for improvement in Stage 1. You could refer to the “Certification Criteria,” in Content>Course Resources, to align the process area you chose for Stage 1 with an appropriate EHR solution that addresses that process area. (Note that not all EHR systems address all process areas.)
- You will then provide in your paper the following bulleted information on the certified EHR that you have selected:
- Product: ___________________
- Version: ___________________
- Additional Software Required: ___________________
- Certifying Body: ___________________
- CHPL Product Number: ___________________ *you can find this number by clicking on the name of the EHR which will open “Certification Criteria Detail View”
|SaaS: Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) is a software delivery model, where the actual software and the data are hosted at the location of the software provider. The users access the software or the data using a ‘thin client’ such as a web-browser. That way the actual users of the software do not need to install the entire software and save the data on their own hardware. The provider of the software is the one who incurs all the responsibility of making the software and data available, backing it up, and restoring from backup when needed. Hence, the users don’t need to incur hardware costs or hire IT staff. This model is becoming more and more popular especially for small businesses when it is not in their business model to hire an IT staff.
Example: An example of a common business accounting software that is offered in more than 1 delivery model is Intuit’s Quickbooks. A small business owner can buy the software for a one-time fee (cost of purchase, e.g. $300) at Office Depot, install it on his own PC and start entering his financial data. This delivery model, the software and data reside on the PC. If the PC crashes, all the data is lost unless the entrepreneur was IT-savvy and backed up his data on a CD or USB. The data can only be accessed on that computer.
The other model is the SaaS, where the entrepreneur can decide that he prefers to pay a monthly fee (e.g. $50) and access Quickbooks via an internet browser such Explorer or Firefox. In this model, the software and the data are stored at the software vendor, Intuit. An advantage of this model is that the business owner does not need to worry if his PC crashes or if he works from home or the office. He can access the system and his data from anywhere and Intuit takes care of securing and backing up the data, etc.
Submit your Stage 2 paper via your Assignment Folder Stage 2 as an attached document with your last name included in the filename(s) (LASTNAME_Stage2).
Your paper will be evaluated on whether or not you correctly incorporated the course concepts from the textbook and addressed all parts of the questions. You need to do some external research on the selection of the certified EHR system, needed hardware and software, etc. and incorporate it and cite (and reference) it in APA format in your response. What, exactly, you propose as a technology solution will be evaluated as to whether it is appropriate for the UMUC Family Clinic and could actually improve the process identified in Stage 1, and whether it is fully thought-out and supported with application of course concepts and research. Remember, this is an information systems management course, and your solution must be an information technology solution – specifically an EHR system. Use the Rubric below to be sure you have covered all aspects.