Pharaoh was considered divine. In what ways does he act like a Mesopotamian deity (those portrayed in Gilgamesh and the Enuma Elish) in Exodus 1…
Please answer the following questions based on your reading Exodus 1-23 and 40. Answer using complete sentences, and be sure to check for grammar/spelling before submitting.
1. In ancient Egypt, Pharaoh was considered divine. In what ways does he act like a Mesopotamian deity (those portrayed in Gilgamesh and the Enuma Elish) in Exodus 1?
2. Whom does God identify as “the son of God” in the book of Exodus?
3. How many times does God reveal the personal name YHWH (LORD) to Moses? How do we reconcile Exodus 6:3 with Gen. 4:26? 4. What is the character of Pharaoh like? How does he respond to each of the plagues—is he responsible for bringing more plagues upon his land?
5. How does the confrontation between God and the Egyptians in Exodus 14-15 parallel the battle between deities in the Enuma Elish and God’s creative action in Genesis 1?
6. What are some of the more humane laws of Exodus 20-23? Which ones seem strange by modern standards?
7. What kind of salvation have the Israelites received in the book of Exodus?