Fears and Stigma of Creating a Safe Cultural Place: A Report on Good Will Hunting
Length: 1200 – 1500 words
The creation of safe spaces requires cultural self-awareness, cultural intelligence and cultural capability. So this final assignment draws together all the learning from the unit in a report about safe spaces. They are fundamental to operating effectively in the workplace, community and the university. Yet many spaces are not that safe for the people who use them. How is it possible to create safe spaces for people?
Using an excerpt from a film or video of people interacting within a space, analyse the various aspects of the scenario including the physical location and interactions between actors to highlight your understanding of safe spaces. Demonstrate your growing cultural capabilities by writing a report that analyses safe or unsafe spaces as depicted in your chosen clip. You need to write an academic report using formal language to:
- analyse the chosen filmed scenario for safe or unsafe spaces
- demonstrate your understanding of the characteristics of culturally safe or unsafe spaces by discussing those identified in the film in relation to the research literature,
- provide recommendations/conclusions for creating or sustaining culturally safe spaces based on the scenario.
1. Choose a scenario Choose a scene (about 5-10 minutes in length) from a TV program, video or movie that focuses on a conflict situation in a community, university/school or workplace. Some suggestions of where you may find films/segments are provided below: Community Workplace University/School Offspring The Slap Angry Boys Big Bang Theory The Office Madmen All Saints Paper Giants Dead Poets Society Good Will Hunting Ja’mie The Community Examples you could choose from are also in the Web-site Learning Materials in ‘Creating Safe Spaces’ and ‘Preparation’.CUC 107 Cultural Intelligence and Capabilities Assessment 4 2 To source extracts you can try: ABC iview; YouTube; download from iTunes; Vimeo or hire from video shop/ local library.
1. Reading Along with the readings we have provided during the semester, you will need to conduct your own research. This means using:
- Library databases for journal articles and books using Summon Beta
- Appropriate readings included in this unit
- Google Scholar
2. Cultural safety report guidelines
Please note – many report formats require that a synopsis or executive summary of the report be included after the table of contents. This is not required in this task
Use the headings following to label each section of your report. These should also be numbered. Organise your report under the following sections and use the numbered headings as below for each section in the body of your report. Suggestions about what you should include under each heading are provided below the heading. Title of Report This should be on a separate page and include the title, your name and the date Table of Contents This should be on a separate page – remember page numbers
1. Introduction (approx. 150 words) This includes: 1.1 Background (An orientation to the topic of cultural safety and safe spaces)
1.2 Scope (Explain what the report will focus on including what video, what particular scenes if the example depicts a safe or unsafe space).
1.3 Aim (Tell the reader what the report aims to do – i.e provide a summary and description and analysis of an example of a safe or unsafe space and recommend improvements to improve the safety of the space where appropriate).
2. Summary (approx. 150 words) Summarise your chosen TV or Video excerpt. This is where you briefly explain the story line and key events related to the context of the safe or unsafe situation of this specific segment of a film in your own words.
3. Summary of literature (approx. 300 words and at least four sources) This is where you demonstrate your understanding of the key concepts covered in the unit by using relevant literature. So you should include definitions of safe spaces, cultural intelligence and capabilities and cultural selfawareness and show how these are all linked to increasing our ability to create safe spaces.CUC 107 Cultural Intelligence and Capabilities Assessment 4 3
4. Observations/analysis of Video (approx. 200 words) In this section you should identify the behaviours and scenarios in the video that are evidence of the cultural safety issues displayed in the video. These observations should confirm your statement in the introduction about whether the space is safe or unsafe. Some of the things to look for and describe are: Physical factors (size and layout of space, position of people in the space); Communication factors (Body language, Voice, Words); signs of inclusion or exclusion, displays of or lack of cultural intelligence. You could use the following table as guide and as a way of briefly describing in key words what you observed. Alternatively you might prefer to describe this in couple of paragraphs.
5. Discussion (approx. 350 words) Use key elements within the film excerpt and the theory you have outlined in the literature review section to discuss your observations of the video and to support your view about whether each scene is a safe or unsafe space. For example you might write: In Scene 1, Jane displayed a high level of cultural intelligence by adjusting her behaviour as soon as she became aware that her patient had never been in a hospital before. This had an instant effect on the patient who visibly relaxed and began to talk. This is an excellent example of what Brislin et al (2006) define as cultural intelligence or “the ability to adjust to another culture”.
6. Recommendations (approx. 200 words supported by academic sources.) Your recommendations (for how the scenario film clip you describe should be changed to make the space safer) should be based on what you discussed in the analysis. So it will be a summary of the things that need to change to enable a safer space in the scenario depicted and requires references in text for your ideas.
7. Conclusion (approx. 150 words) This is where you sum briefly everything covered in your report. So it would include: what the film clip covered, what it was about, what it showed re safe spaces, what needed to be changed if anything. (Don’t introduce new material or references into this section). References (last section of report on separate page and not numbered)
For this report we expect you to use readings provided and utilised in your previous assignment as well as additional references you might source that relate to the particular context of the scenario depicted in your film. For example, if your video depicts bullying at school you may find articles on school bullying. This will be helpful for your discussion and recommendations. You should use the APA 6th referencing style in text and for the reference list at the end.
NB Check how to reference correctly for multimedia. The references, title and content pages are not counted in your final word count. CUC 107 Cultural Intelligence and Capabilities Assessment