ESCI 1123 Meteorology Ch.1 review questions
Meteorology Ch.1 review questions
- Distinguish between weather and climate.
- What is the advantage of describing the climate of locality in terms of both average weather plus extremes in weather?
- Identify the various sources of weather information that are available to the public.
- Describe the type of weather that usually accompanies a high (anticyclone) and a low (cyclone) in middle latitudes.
- What is an air mass? What governs the temperature and humidity of an air mass?
- Explain why clouds and precipitation are often associated with fronts.
- Among weather satellites, distinguish between GOES and POES.
- What advantages does an infrared satellite image offer over a visible satellite image for monitoring the state of the atmosphere?
- Describe how weather radar detects the location and movement of areas of precipitation.
- What causes high thin cirrus clouds to appear fibrous or wispy?