Design a staff development activity that will allow your entire staff to review the school’s mission statement
Chapter 3: Design and Implement
In this activity you will design a staff development activity that will allow your entire staff to review the school’s mission statement or to develop a vision statement with a focus on learning and student achievement. You may choose one of the examples from the chapter, or suggest your own.
The examples provided include:
- My Ideal School
- Creating a Metaphor
- Using Visual Synectics
Once you have designed and outlined one process for your school community, implement the group activity. If this is not practical, you may use a peer or mentor as your audience. Have the peer or mentor provide feedback on your facilitation skills.
Chapter 3: Administrator Activities Checklist
The administrator processes and engages in activities ensuring that:
- The vision and mission of the school are effectively communicated to staff, parents, students, and community members.
- The vision and mission are communicated through the use of symbols, ceremonies,
stories, and similar activities.
- The core beliefs of the school vision are modeled for all stakeholders.
- The vision is developed with and among stakeholders.
- The contributions of school community members to the realization of the vision are recognized and celebrated.
- Progress toward the vision and mission is communicated to all stakeholders.
- The school community is involved in school improvement efforts.
- The vision shapes the educational programs, plans, and actions.
- An implementation plan is developed in which objectives and strategies to achieve the vision and goals are clearly articulated.
- Assessment data related to student learning are used to develop the school vision and goals.
- Relevant demographic data pertaining to students and their families are used in developing the school mission and goals.
- Barriers to achieving the vision are identified, clarified, and addressed.
- Needed resources are sought and obtained, to support the implementation of the school mission and goals.
- Existing resources are used in support of the school vision and goals.
- The vision, mission, and implementation plans are regularly monitored, evaluated, and revised.
Chapter 3: Revisiting the Vision