Define the concepts interrupt and trap
- Define the concepts interrupt and trap, and explain the purpose of an interrupt vector.
- How does a computer system with von Neumann architecture execute an instruction?
- What role do device controllers and device drivers play in a computer system?
- Why do clustered systems provide what is considered high-availability service?
- Describe an operating system’s two modes of operation.
- Define cache, and explain cache coherency.
- Describe why direct memory access (DMA) is considered an efficient mechanism for performing I/O.
- Describe why multi-core processing is more efficient than placing each processor on its own chip.
- Describe the relationship between an API, the system-call interface, and the operating system.
- Describe some requirements and goals to consider when designing an operating system.
- Explain why a modular kernel may be the best of the current operating system design techniques.
- Distinguish between virtualization and simulation.