Critical Book Review: A Magnificent Catastrophe
Assignment: Critical Book Review
Format: APA (American Psychological Association)
Length: 4-5 pages (Content)
Your assignment is to write Critical Book Reviews of A Magnificent Catastrophe by Edward J. Larson .Once you have read the books you are to write a Critical Book Review of each work. NOTE: A Critical Book Review is more than a book report, but is a chance for you to give your reaction to the work and author.
- You do not need to provide an Abstract or author’s note.
- The title page and reference page do not count as part of the 4-5 pages of content.
- You do need to provide a reference page even if your only reference is the assigned book itself.
- Do not use the online encyclopedia Wikipedia as a source.
- You must have a title page (Do not put pictures, charts, graphs, etc. on the title page. Simply follow APA format.
- Do not use an overabundance of quotes in your paper. I want to read your writing not another author’s.
- Watch paragraph length. A paragraph shouldn’t go on for 2 pages or more.
- Do not overuse commas…if in doubt…leave it out.
Consider the following in writing your critical book review:
- What are the positive and negative aspects of the book?
- Does it cover the issue adequately?
- Does it cover a historical or contemporary view?
- What would you like to see added to the book or taken out?
- How well does the book add to your knowledge of our American system of politics?
- Would you recommend the book(s) to others? Why or Why not?
You are free to add to the above list and come up with some of your own unique critics of the book(s) and author.
The following link(s) also provide additional guidelines and questions to consider in writing your critical book review: https://apps.carleton.edu/curricular/history/resources/study/criticalbookreview/