COM 155 Week 6 DQs
Com/155 Week 6 DQs
1. It is important that an essay not be a series of quotes or paraphrased material; one’s own analysis must be part of the essay. How can you create a balance between your own analysis and the source material?
2. Choose one of the following scenarios:
- The leadership role of women in national politics has changed dramatically in the last 60 years.
- Teachers and parents are concerned with whether standardized tests are a good indicator of a child’s intelligence.
- A healthy diet and regular exercise improve health and lower health care costs.
Is there one best way to support each of these topics? If yes, which one, and why? If no, why not?
3. Are your intended readers’ young or old, male or female, Asian or Caucasian, or middle-class or upper class? How will you best capture their attention, hold their interest and leave a lasting impression in your paper?
4. Parallelism, sentence variety, and sentence clarity are necessary to effectively complete your body paragraphs. Why? How might you use them?
5. What do you think are the two most common mistakes a writer might make that could cause his or her writing to be ineffective for readers? What steps might you take to avoid these mistakes?