Why does federal Indian law need to be reformed
According to Walter Echo-Hawk (which is the reading in 50.doc) and your analysis after taking this class, why does federal Indian law need to be reformed?
Identify and analyze one recent legal case and one recent law and/or policy (1950s to present) that represents the good side of federal Indian law. How did this case and this legislation/policy support/affirm tribal sovereignty and strengthen tribal self-government and/or treaty rights
Identify and analyze one recent legal case and recent law and/or policy (1950s to present) that represents the bad side of federal Indian law. How did this case and this legislation/policy undermine tribal sovereignty and weaken tribal self-government and/or treaty rights?
According to Echo-Hawk and your analysis after taking this class, what are the factors that have aligned to create a favorable climate for reforming federal Indian law to support tribal sovereignty and self-government? How does Echo-Hawk propose we reform federal Indian law, as well as utilize the UNDRIP in this legal reform to strengthen tribal sovereignty and self-government? What are your thoughts on this reform process?
In one or two sentences, what are your thoughts on federal Indian law and what you have learned in this class?
You must answer the questions in 6 – 7 pages, typed, stapled, double-spaced, and properly cited. You must include references to at least five of the course readings (you can also reference the films/videos/websites we have used in class but these do not replace the reading citations). Limit citing the lectures. Make sure to cite your material properly or you will lose points
- Clearly articulate your ideas, points, arguments, assertions etc.
- Referencing articles/readings: Incorporate material from the readings into your analysis by (1) reworking the reading material in your own words and then citing/referencing the reading at the end, and/or (2) using specific short quotes and then providing the reference/citation immediately after the end quote.
- Reference/citation style: you can use parenthetical referencing, foot or endnote style.
- Establish a short introduction and conclusion drawing in the key points discussed in your essay.
- Provide a Works Cited at the end of your essay.
* graded on content, clarity, grammar, presentation, organization, and your use of the reading material to support your analysis.