Jerry McCAll is Dr. William’s office assistant Case Study
HCS 335 Week 2 Individual Assignment Ethics Case Study
1. Individual Assignment: Ethics Case Study
Resource: Ethics Case Study Grading Criteria included as an attachment in the Course Materials.
Read the case study in Ch. 4 (Page 85) of Medical Law and Ethics that begins, “Jerry McCAll is Dr. William’s office assistant.”
Prepare a 700- to 1050-word paper in which you answer the following questions:
- o Does Jerry’s medical training qualify him to issue this refill order? Why or why not?
- o Would it make a difference if the medication requested were for control of high blood pressure that the patient critically needs on a daily basis? Why or why not?
- o If Jerry calls in the refill and the patient has an adverse reaction while flying, is Jerry protected from a lawsuit under the doctrine of respondent superior?
- o What is your advice to Jerry?
- o Identify major legal and ethical issues that may affect Jerry’s decision.
- o What problem-solving methods might be helpful to assist in making an ethical decision?
Include at least two sources in your paper.
Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines.