Cognitive Psychology Paper
Assessment 2 Instructions: Cognitive Psychology Paper
Analyze if a theory is supported by research using three articles, taking into consideration the research methodology of those articles.
As you work on this assessment, you’ll have the opportunity to explore problem solving, creativity, judgments, decisions, and reasoning, and what can prevent people from making quick decisions. You’ll also explore what might account for how people learn differently. What differences might account for how they deal with decisions?
In this assessment, you’ll have the chance to evaluate peer-reviewed articles in more depth while applying a theory to learning. You’ll analyze if a theory is supported by the research. This is also an important skill for Assessment 3, where you’ll need to use articles to support an evaluation of conditions and treatments.
Select at least three articles provided in the Resources and review them. For this assessment, you will write a research paper in the broad topic of individual differences in one of these sub topical areas:
- Learning styles.
- Multiple intelligences.
- Artificial intelligence.
Use the APA Paper Template [DOCX] to complete this assessment:
- Review and select at least three of the articles listed in the Resources to inform your paper. You do not need to locate additional articles, although you may use sources that are not included in the provided reading lists.
- Follow the assessment instructions to organize your paper using APA style in-text citations and a reference list (see below).
Important: Prior to submission, conduct a self-evaluation of this assessment using the scoring guide and identifying the proficiency level for each criterion. Submit your assessment and the self-evaluation (as a separate attachment). See below for more instructions.
Use the following as a guide for organizing your paper:
- Introduction (1 paragraph).
- Description of the theory, model, or phenomenon (2-3 paragraphs).
- Examples of how the theory, model, or phenomenon impacts learning and memory processes using the peer-reviewed articles you located to inform the examples (2 paragraphs).
- Description of the research methods used in the sources cited and analysis of their appropriateness (2-3 paragraphs).
- Strengths and limitations of the theoretical perspective or phenomenon (1-2 paragraphs).
- Summary and conclusion (1-2 paragraphs).
Your assessment should also meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- Resources:Use your course resources and at least three peer-reviewed and scholarly resources (no more than five years old).
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to current APA style and formatting guidelines.
- Template: Use the APA Paper Template [DOCX]for your paper.
- Length:3-4 typed, double-spaced pages, excluding the title and reference pages.
- Font and font size:Times New Roman, 12 point.
When you have finished, write a separate, one-page self-evaluation of your work compared to the scoring guide criteria.
- Ensure that you have completed all assessment requirements (ideally at the Distinguished level).
- Evaluate your performance using the criteria in the scoring guide.
- Compare and contrast your self-evaluation from the previous assessment with the feedback provided by your faculty to align your personal evaluation with faculty expectations.
- Indicate the proficiency level you met for each criterion.
- Include the scoring guide (including comments) with your self-evaluation.
- Submit the self-evaluation as a separate attachment when you submit your assessment.
You may find the Self-Evaluation Tool helpful in guiding you through this process.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the course competencies through the following assessment scoring guide criteria:
- Competency 1: Apply psychology theories and concepts to human learning and cognition.
- Describe a theory, model, or phenomenon that impacts learning and memory processes.
- Apply examples to illustrate how a theory, model, or phenomenon impacts learning and memory.
Competency 3: Describe the research methods used in the study of human learning and cognition.
- Describe the research methods used in the sources cited and analyze their appropriateness.
- Competency 4: Analyze theory and research to solve problems and inform professional behavior in human learning and cognition.
- Describe strengths and limitations of the theory or phenomenon.
- Competency 5: Apply metacognitive strategies to self-assess performance quality.
- Conduct a self-evaluation using established scoring criteria and identifying the proficiency level for each criterion.
- Competency 6: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with expectations for professionals in the field of psychology.
- Write coherently to support a central idea with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics.
- Apply current APA style, including in-text citations and full references for sources.