Applying the DSM
Assessment 4 Instructions: Applying
the DSM Create a 10–15 slide presentation in which you present information to an
interested audience about a particular psychological disorder in the DSM–5 and
describe how the diagnosis and the treatment have changed over time.
Diagnoses change and evolve over time. Ensuring accuracy of diagnosis yields
the implementation of the best treatment and results. A common controversy in
psychology research and literature involves how to best study psychotherapy.
One argument is represented by a perspective that sees much of clinical practice
as unscientific and hopes to demonstrate that types of therapy are clinically
effective. This is usually done with randomized clinical trials, where the technique
in question is implemented with one group of clients and compared to a Control
condition, in which either no treatment, or some alternate technique is provided.
Critics disagree with this approach. They note that this research approach
emphasizes small and relatively meaningless distinctions between techniques,
focuses on brands of therapy rather than examining the common processes that
occur in counseling sessions, and does not allow us to study what actually leads
to change in psychotherapy.
Various scholars and practitioners have unique views on diagnosis and
treatments. Ensuring that literature and studies support your views with result in
effective implementation of the DSM–5.
For this assessment you will present information to an interested audience about
a particular psychological disorder in the DSM–5. You will be discussing how the
diagnosis and the treatment have changed over time so take this into
consideration as you choose the disorder you will address.
The following resource is required to complete the assessment.
• American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of
mental disorders (5th ed.).
To complete this assessment:
• Select one psychological disorder in the DSM–5 to use for this assessment. â€‹
• Consider your current workplace or community and select a target audience to
present your information to.
• Design a PowerPoint presentation in which you:
o Select a theory from the text or elsewhere and discuss how the theory would view
the causes of the specific disorder.
o Discuss the current diagnostic criteria for the disorder from the DSM–5. Provide a
brief case example which would meet the diagnostic criteria.
o Describe how the DSM–5 version of the diagnosis reconsiders the DSM–4 diagnosis.
o Describe the changes in treatment.
o Assess what lead to the changes of the diagnosis and treatment approaches. Use
current research to support your analysis.
o Support your analysis of the changes with evidence from scholarly research, at least
three of which should be from peer–reviewed journal articles.
• Title slide: Include your name, course, date, and faculty.
• References: DSM–5 and three or more peer–reviewed journal articles.
• Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from
the overall message.
• APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to APA style and
• Length of presentation: 10–15 slides.
• Speaker notes: Included on each slide.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your
proficiency in the following course competencies:
• Competency 1: Apply relevant theories to issues in mental health.
o Apply theory to identify possible causes of an abnormal behavior.
• Competency 3: Apply the current edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of
Mental Disorders (DSM) to psychological disorders.
o Apply the DSM to identify client’s behaviors that correspond with diagnostic
o Compare and contrast the DSM–4 and DSM–5 diagnostic criteria of a selected
• Competency 5: Analyze treatment of psychological disorders.
o Describe the current and past treatment of a selected disorder. Describe the current
and past treatment of a selected disorder.
o Analyze what lead to the changes of the diagnosis and treatment approaches.
• Competency 6: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and
consistent with expectations for professionals in the field of psychology.
o Presentation is appropriate for the target audience, well–developed, concise,
logically organized, and utilizes correct punctuation, spelling, grammar, and
o Apply scholarly writing skills and use proper APA formatting and style in all papers
and reference lists.