The Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT) that did not exist at the end of WWII (1945)
Over the past half century there have been many additions to the inventory of healthcare workers. Pick three types of healthcare workers that did not exist at the end of WWII (1945) and discuss what you think the reasons for the creation/growth of this type of worker is/was, what the financial, clinical, and political implications are on the healthcare industry. Speculate if this type of healthcare worker will add to the total cost of care or will reduce the cost of care and why. How the worker will impact the availability of care. Provide specific examples that support your position, and also describe what you think the future for the type of worker you identify is going to be over the next 20 years. Example: …and you can’t use this one…Physician Assistant: reason for creation; perceived shortage of primary care physicians during the early 1970s and need for providers in economically depressed and rural areas of the country. A solution was seen in that there was an inventory of trained military hospital corpsmen returning from Vietnam with superior primary and trauma care skills but no formal university type education. … the reasons for growth and future of the PA is obvious.
Do this assignment is bullet format for each of the three types of workers:
- Type of healthcare worker
- When this type of worker entered the market or came into being (remember WWII ended in 1945, so the types of workers you decide on must have been created since then). If the type of worker you choose grew out of some other type of worker, explain how and why.
- Reasons for creation and growth
- Financial implications: impact on overall healthcare costs, value in the market place, etc.
- Clinical implications: how does the addition of this type of worker improve clinical outcomes.
- Political implications: are or were there political issues that either brought about the creation of the type of worker, or have there been political issues that resulted from the creation of the worker?
- Impact on availability of care
- Future of this type of worker
- Impact on other healthcare workers: will the worker take work away from another worker, will the type of worker be an addition to the overall inventory of the workforce, will the worker add value to some other type of worker (go back to the PA example, the PA added revenue and value to the MD practice they work in).
NOTE OF ADVICE >> WHEN I SAY BULLET FORMAT, THAT IS WHAT I WANT TO SEE, LIST THE TITLE OF THE BULLET AND THEN ANSWER IT>> FOR EXAMPLE:
Financial Implication: provide two or three sub-billetses that outline the financial implications of this type of worker.