Modernization vs. Dependency Theories and Their Relations to Poverty in Third World Countries
Write a 5-6 page paper (double spaced with one inch margins). Using one issue of your choice (for example, women’s inequality, poverty, corruption, population, infrastructure), analyze, compare, and contrast how two sets of theories (e.g. modernization theory, development of underdevelopment, dependency theory, post-structuralist/post-development theory) would address the issue at stake.
The paper must be structured as follows:
- Introductory paragraph: Specify the selected issue of analysis and the theories chosen. Briefly state why you selected both the issue and the theories. Your thesis statement/main argument must be made within this paragraph.
- Describe the issue that you have chosen for analysis. How is it relevant to development?
- Briefly describe the main theoretical assumptions of the two theories you have chosen.
- Applying each theory to the issue that you have selected, explain the implications for practice (such as policy, planning, programs, etc.) that would emerge from each theoretical approach.
- Concluding paragraph: restate your main argument and main points of evidence.
You are required to include in text citations with the author’s last name, year of publication, and page number, i.e. (Gupta 2012, 121), and a bibliography at the end of the paper. Any reference to or paraphrasing from a text requires that you cite the source. Your paper must be a minimum of 5 full pages, and no more than 6. Your bibliography will not be included as part of your page count.