Living the Criteria of the DSM
Assessment 3 Instructions:
Living the Criteria of the DSM
Write a 5–6 page assessment in which you identify a famous individual who has
been diagnosed with a disorder listed in the DSM5, describe the diagnosis,
analyze the quality of their life living with the disorder, present evidence–based
treatment recommendations for the disorder, and support your recommendations
with findings from research.
For this assessment, you will be asked to think critically about the current
diagnostic system and the medical model of mental illness.
The DSM diagnoses are applied to individuals. Symptomatic individuals are
brought to health care providers and diagnostic labels are applied to them.
However, our understanding of the psychological conditions individuals
experience is enhanced if we keep in mind that various ages and populations are
probably more sensitive to environmental conditions than others. Carefully
selecting a diagnoses and ensuring that it is evident in the client will result in the
most effective treatment.
The following resource is required to complete the assessment:
• American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of
mental disorders (5th ed.).
For this assessment, you are asked to think critically about the current diagnostic
system and the medical model of mental illness.
• Select a celebrity or famous individual who has been diagnosed with a disorder
listed in the DSM–5.
• Describe the diagnosis, discussing each criterion the client fits and does not fit for
that diagnosis from the DSM–5 (which you should cite).
• Analyze the quality of their life living with this disorder.
o In what way has the disorder impeded or limited their success?
o In what way did it enhance their success?
• Find a journal article that discusses this disorder and analyze how the article’s
discussion of the diagnosis compares to the behaviors the individual displays?
• Analyze treatments for the diagnosis of the chosen individual and support why they
would be recommended (one or both of these treatments should come from a
current, peer–reviewed journal article).
• Discern how, as a professional in the field of psychology, you would use the
information from the article to inform your professional behavior.
• Title page: Include your name, course, date, and faculty.
• Reference: DSM–5 and two or more peer–reviewed journal articles.
• Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from
the overall message.
• APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to APA style and
• Length of paper: 5–6 typed, double–spaced pages.
• Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your
proficiency in the following course competencies:
• Competency 2: Analyze research findings from within the field of abnormal
o Analyze the quality of the person’s life living with this disorder.
o Compare scholarly research with a person’s experience.
• Competency 3: Apply the current edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of
Mental Disorders (DSM) to psychological disorders.
o Assess how a person evidences the criteria of the given diagnosis.
• Competency 4: Apply psychological theory and research in abnormal psychology to
inform professional behavior.
o Assess how research findings informs professional behavior.
• Competency 5: Analyze treatment of psychological disorders.
o Analyze treatments for the diagnosis of the chosen individual.
• Competency 6: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and
consistent with expectations for professionals in the field of psychology.
o Use well–developed written communication by writing in a manner that is generally
concise, logically organized, and utilizes correct punctuation, spelling, grammar, and
o Apply scholarly writing skills and use proper APA formatting and style in all papers
and reference lists.