Create a 12-15 slide PowerPoint presentation and record an elevator pitch (a short description of an
idea, product, or company that explains the concept in a way such that any listener can understand it in
a short period of time) for the management team of CapraTek about the importance of, and
components of, business planning.
One of the most important tasks of business leaders is effective organizational planning. For this
assessment, you will look at the importance of planning and best practices for success. You will address
effective planning techniques that link departmental plans to the overall strategic plan and business
operations goals, while considering key performance indicators that managers need to consider when
developing a plan.
For this assessment, you will be acting as a consultant to the fictitious company, CapraTek. To begin,
read the following information about the company.
CapraTek has a long history as a leader in the design and manufacture of computer server components
and continues to provide innovative solutions to industry needs. Now, CapraTek is leveraging this
culture of innovation to expand into emerging wireless technologies. As part of that diversification,
CapraTek is developing advanced smart-home technology. CapraTek recently announced that it will
begin the development of an integrated wireless system that will provide seamless integration of
virtually all home electronics and appliances, all controlled through a single wireless device and a simple
CapraTek will provide excellence in everything we do as we define and deliver technology solutions for
To measurably contribute to the goals of our customers—both direct consumers and resellers—by
providing extraordinary products at a fair and competitive price. CapraTek will focus on enhancing the
success of its partners, employees, and investors by enacting the values of teamwork, respect,
accountability, integrity, and innovation.
• For business customers, we will create value through efficiency, reliability, and flexibility both in
our products and our customer service.
• For resellers, we will offer unique products that create sales and profit opportunities, including
valuable vendor relationships, sales programs, access to credit, and training and development.
These are the values that should shape every decision made at CapraTek from the board room to the
• Teamwork: We work together as a unified team to meet our goals.
• Respect: We strive to bring the highest degree of dignity, equality, and trust to every interaction
with our co-workers, our customers, our shareowners, our manufacturers, and our community.
• Accountability: We take responsibility for our actions, decisions, and products. We accept our
individual, team, and corporate responsibilities, and we meet our commitments.
• Integrity: We employ the highest ethical standards, demonstrating honesty and fair-mindedness
in all our interactions.
• Innovation: We consider innovation crucial to our mission and to our ability to continually live
our values. We welcome change and the many opportunities that change brings.
As a business consultant hired by senior organizational leadership at CapraTek, a fictional design and
manufacturing company, prepare a 12-15 slide PowerPoint presentation with speaker notes that will be
presented to the General Manager, Manager of Information Technology, and Marketing Manager at the
kickoff meeting for an organizational efficiency planning session. Highlight areas where various leaders
will need to coordinate to ensure their plans are aligned with the same organizational goals and
objectives that you develop.
Start the presentation with a 3-minute elevator pitch (a short description of an idea, product, or
company that explains the concept in a way such that any listener can understand it in a short period of
time). In this pitch, you want to send a clear message about the importance of business planning. You
should explain the importance of organizational goals and objectives to grow a business and include key
performance indicator (KPI) targets that should be considered by corporate leaders when developing
their strategic plans. The script for your elevator pitch should be in the speaker notes of the first slide
after your cover slide.
The remainder of the presentation should address the following:
• The business planning process.
• Key components for a business plan, technology plan, and marketing plan.
• Best practices for creation of a business plan that aligns to organizational goals.
• Inclusion of a business planning model and an illustration of the model.
• How the planning process applies to key business support functions for leadership, information
technology, and marketing management.
Technology Planning, Knowledge Management Systems, Technology Adoption
In the information and knowledge age, publicly traded organizations have more value aligned to
intangible assets, such as information and knowledge, than to physical assets. Organizations that
understand and appreciate this dynamic hold a competitive position in the marketplace. Read the
following to learn more about this process. While reading, notice the mind map that illustrates the
logical relationships of knowledge management processes, information systems, and research methods.
• Al-Emran, M., Mezhuyev, V., Kamaludin, A., & Shaalan K. (2018). The impact of knowledge
management processes on information systems: A systematic review. International Journal of
Information Management, 43, 173–187.
Not everyone is ready to adopt new technology, which is applied to leaders, employees, customers, and
suppliers. It takes a while to adapt to any change, including adapting to changes in technology. Read the
following to examine barriers precluding emerging technologies from being adopted. As you read, think
about your reaction to change. Do you easily accept change or tend to resist it?
• Duval, D. (2019, January 28). Today’s companies have a technology adoption problem, not an
problem. Forbes. https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesnonprofitcouncil/2019/01/28/todays-
Marketing Mix, Marketing and Advertising Goals, Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
Another critical support function for every business is marketing, which involves business activities such
as market research and advertising to promote the selling of products and services. Marketing is like
many business disciplines in that it has evolved a great deal, and in today’s complex business
environment, it relies on key performance indicators used to measure success.
• The fundamental building blocks of marketing, known as the marketing mix, are the Four Ps:
Product, Price, Promotion, and Place. View the following to learn more:
o Four Ps of Marketing.
• One of the biggest mistakes a new company can make is to assume that every person is a
potential customer. Market research allows you to target your efforts to find and attract those
who are most likely to be your customers. View the following to learn how research can help
you determine your markets and customers:
o Analyzing Markets and Customers.
• Test your marketing research knowledge by working through the following scenario:
o Zippy Toys: Marketing Research.
• Organizations use key performance indicators to drive growth and performance. Read the
following to learn about KPIs used to track the effectiveness of a marketing efforts:
o Getman, C. (n.d.). The 16 marketing KPIs you should be measuring (but probably
You will be using the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (commonly referred
to as the APA manual) style in your papers and citations for this course. Reference the Academic
Writer for more information.
One of the critical functions of management is business planning, which is an essential aspect of
effectively leading organizations. Benjamin Franklin said, “If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail.”
This is absolutely the case for businesses. Planning is not just a function of starting a business, it is an
ongoing process in managing a business.
• Review the following from the U.S. Small Business Administration to learn about different types
of business plans and how to write them:
o U.S. Small Business Administration. (n.d.). Write your business
• Read the following for a detailed process for information technology planning that is applicable
to IT plans in any industry. Pay particular attention to the sections listed below.
o LeadingAge. (n.d.). Strategic planning and strategic IT planning for long-term and post-
acute care (LTPAC) providers: A “how to” workbook. https://www.leadingage.org/case-
o Introduction and Executive Summary.
o Overview of Strategic Planning and Strategic IT Planning.
o Strategic and Operational IT Planning Steps.
Every business should have a marketing plan in place, where the business identifies their ideal customer
and the plan to organize, execute, and measure the organizations’ marketing efforts.
• This article provides a definition and examples of a marketing plan, how a marketing plan works,
and links to other helpful resources:
o Lake, L. (2020). What is a marketing plan? https://www.thebalancesmb.com/what-is-a-
• Read the following to learn what can be included in the marketing plan section of the business
o Ward, S. (2020). The marketing plan section of the business
In the rapidly changing business environment, leaders must adapt. With many
leaders, the ability to thrive depends on their level of agility. Being an agile leader
means being open to new ideas and being able to make changes quickly. You
can work to be more agile by learning, developing interpersonal skills, and
focusing on your ability to execute. Use the following resources to learn more
about agile leadership.
• Agility Consulting and Training. (n.d.). The agile
• Rigby, D., Elk, S., & Berez, S. (2020). The agile c-suite: A new approach to leadership
for the team at the top. Harvard Business Review, 98(3), 64–73.
• Agile Leadership Self-Assessment.