Judy and Chris Case Study
- What source of power does Judy have, and what type of power is she using during the meeting?
- (a) What source of power does Chris have, and what type of power is she using during the meeting? (b)Is the memo a wise political move for Chris? What may be gained/ lost by sending it?
- What would you do if you were Judi? (a) Would you talk to the dean, letting him know that Chris said that he would appeal to the policy decision? (b) Which political decision would that discussion represent? (c) Would you draft a policy directly stating that graduate assistants cannot be used to grade objective exams? (d) Would your answer to (c) be influenced by your answer to (a )?
- If you were Chris (a) knowing that you had no verbal supporters during the meeting, would you have continued to defend your position or agreed to stop using a graduate assistant? (b) What do you think of Chris’s sending the memo? (c) As a tenured full professor, Chris is secure in his job. Would your answer change if you had not received tenure or promotion to the top rank?
- If you were Chris and Julie drafted a policy and department members agreed with it, what would you do? (a) Would you appeal the decision to the dean? (b) Again, would your answer change if you had not received tenure or promotion to the top rank?
- If you were the dean of SAS, knowing that the vice president does not want to set a college wide policy, and Chris appealed to you, what would you do? Would you develop a school wide policy for the SAS?
- At what level (college wide, by schools, or by departments within each school) should a graduate assistant policy set?
- (a) Should Ted Brown have spoken up in defense of Chris during the meeting? (b) If you were Ted, would you have taken Chris’s side against the seven members? Would your answer change if you were not friends with Chris, and if you were or were not a tenured full professor ?
- What is the role of perception and attitudes and values in this case?
- What type of communications was used in this case? What was the major barrier to communication?
- Which conflict management style did Judi and Chris use in setting the policy? Which conflict management style would you have used if you were in Chris’s situation?
- Which situational supervisory business style was Judi using to set the policy?
- Which motivational theory was Chris using to defend his position to use graduate assistant?