Individual Assignment: Media and Race – 1960’s Women Stereotypes
Resources:Racial and Ethnic Relations and Racial and Ethnic Groups
Select a movie, television show, commercial, or other form of media that includes racial or ethnic issues. The following websites contain media you can use. You may also select a piece of media not found in these collections.
The Prelinger Archives located at http://www.archive.org/details/prelinger, which houses television ads and shows from the 1940s and 1950s
Movie archives located at http://www.archive.org/details/movies
Write a 500- to 750- word analysis where you identify how your selected media example addresses gender and stereotypes.
- Explain how stereotypes are portrayed in the media and your response to these stereotypes.
Answer the following questions:
- What time period was your media made in? What time period is it about?
- Was one character portrayed as a victim? Was this character playing a stereotypical role?
- What roles, major or minor, were racial or ethnic minorities assigned?
- What issues of race and ethnicity are addressed?
- For older media pieces, how would the racial issues you identified be addressed today?
SOC 262 SOC262 Week 5 Assignment Media and Race