Clarify the difference between an EMR and an EHR
If you remember from week one, we have issues with our records system. As promised, I attended a seminar on integrating Electronic Records into an existing practice. What I was hoping for was some clarification regarding electronic records, but now I am concerned about all of the information I was given and about where the facility is in the grand scheme of things as we only use paper records. What I need from you is a two page informational paper discussing the following:
- Clarify the difference between an EMR and an EHR.
- Is our facility (a Primary Care Facility) required to obtain and operate a functional EHR by a certain deadline? If so, what is the deadline?
- What is “meaningful use” and why is it important to us?
- They kept talking about interoperability. Why is that word important to us?
- What would be our first step as a practice if and when we need to move toward an EHR?
- Are we at risk for being penalized if we do not establish and Electronic Records System?