Assignment-Critical Thinking Sources of enculturation
Answer each bullet with one full paragraph (4-5 sentences)
Critical Thinking 1:
- Select a quote about “thinking” from Chapter 1 that best describes your own viewpoint and explain why this quote is meaningful to you. See Attachment
- Identify which of the sources of enculturation has had the most impact on your own thinking and explain why you think this is the case.
A source of enculturation is our place of work. Here we may learn certain manners of behavior, dress code, professional ethics, and work attitude.
- Identify one of the “5 Errors of Thinking” that you recently observed in another or even committed yourself and explain how this affected productive communication
Example of One of the 5 Errors of Thinking –
Selective abstraction: focusing on one detail of a situation and ignoring the larger picture. For example, an instructor receives a very favorable evaluation from 90 percent of her students but dwells instead on the unfavorable comments from the few. Or a football player, after an overall excellent performance, curses himself for the one pass that he should have caught (Beck, 1976).
Critical Thinking 2:
- Describe an example of an episodic memory, perceptual-motor memory, and semantic memory that you have personally experienced.
- Explain which of these memories you feel is most affected by one or more of the senses.
Critical Thinking 3:
Using and misusing figurative language may make it difficult for others to understand what you write and what you say.
- Choose one (1) of the ten (10) types of figurative language from the list below.
- Define the meaning of the term and provide an example.
- Describe an appropriate circumstance for using the example for the term or a circumstance when using the term might lead to misunderstanding.
|1. idiom||6. amphiboly|
|2. analogy||7. “flame word”|
|3. metaphor||8. hyperbole|
|4. simile||9. euphemism|
|5. cliché||10. colloquialism|