Alcohol should be Banned in the United States
Paper 3: Argumentative Essay
An argumentative essay is one that convinces readers to see things from the author’s point of view. At the end of your essay, you want your audience to agree with your claim, or argument. A good argumentative essay is the result of the author making a claim and supporting this claim with strong evidence. A good argumentative essay also acknowledges the counterarguments to the author’s claim, or the reasons why some people may not agree with the argument that is being made.
- First, you need to choose a topic that you feel strongly about. I am leaving the topic up to you, but please note that there are some topics I do not want you to write about. These include:
- legalizing marijuana
- gay marriage
- gun control
- changing the drinking age to younger than 21
- the death penalty
- After you have chosen a general topic, try to narrow it down to something specific. Think back to the exercise we did in class to help you do this.
- Now write a thesis statement. This should be a 1-3 sentence statement that summarizes your argument.
- Once you have a thesis statement, think of the possible counterarguments that exist. Take a piece of paper and make 2 columns. In one column, write down the possible counterarguments that exist against your argument. In the other column, write down your arguments against the counterarguments.
Writing the Essay:
Now that you have explored your topic, you can start writing. Make sure your essay fits into the standards we have set for this class (12 pt. TNR font, double spaced, each paragraph indented, 1-inch margins). Your essay needs an introduction and a conclusion.
- Make sure you use evidence that supports your argument, not just your opinion.
- Make sure your evidence is logically strong.
- Make sure your essay follows an order that makes sense.
- If you are writing about a controversial topic, make sure you are respectful.
- Make sure each paragraph only contains 1 idea. You can have multiple paragraphs that talk about the same idea.