20th Century Arab History
HIST 309: 20th Century Arab History Exam
We have spent the past semester studying Arab History and the emergence and formation of Arab nation-states and Arab nationalism during the 20th century. Based on your readings and research, please discuss the most significant and potent ideological forces that have molded and shaped the Arab world, particularly within the past fifty years.
In answering the above central question you may wish to consider the following:
- Why the terrorism and extremism that prevails in the Middle East today did not exist half a century ago?
- Does the existence of conflicting ideologies contribute to the present situation?
- How has Islam, Pan-Islamism, Pan-Arabism and other ideologies influenced the shaping of the modern Middle East?
- Does moderate and pluralist Islam exist in the Middle East or is it overtaken by extremists’ ideologies?
- Have ideological networks so readily accessible today helped shape the modern Middle East?
- How much have the absence of security and the rise of instability aggravated the situation in the present Arab world?
Please note that your expected to be around 1000 words. The question you will concentrate on is the one marked in bold letters above. In other words, what are the most significant and potent ideological forces that have molded and shaped the Arab world, particularly within the past fifty years? You are free to use any concept, idea or case study, such as the Arab Spring that you wish in order to prove your case. However, please be analytic and organize your thoughts well. You are expected to use diverse and reliable sources and to provide in-text